It’s time to polish off those old eyes, give that old brain of yours a good brain-rub, and brush up on how to be an efficient reader. These are the top 5 tips on how to buff up those reading skills of yours. Take special note of these tips, and you’ll be bright and fresh as a daisy in no time. What I mean by that, of course, is that I can show you how to speed read!
- Try to read more than just one word at a time. See if you can read a whole block of words in one go. With some practice, you should be able to do this easily, without harming your comprehension at all.
- Pay full attention to the material you’re reading. Concentrate 100% all the time when you’re reading. Any distraction will slow you down, and will decrease your comprehension level.
- Stop yourself if you realize you have any habits such as twirling a pencil in your hands, tapping on the table, or moving your feet, hand or body. Remember, you need to be 100% focused on reading!
- Spend less time per fixation on the page. Every once in a while, you may find yourself stopping to stare at a word while you attempt to comprehend it. Regardless of how much this habit may seem to help you, it really does not help at all. You’ll figure out the meaning easier if you just keep reading.
- Take break if you’re fed up or tired. Don’t force yourself to read. Reading should be fun and engaging. It should never be boring or tiresome.